Walk 2011

Friday, April 8, 2011

Take it for granted

Perhaps one of the most difficult things to come to terms with are the delays that Christopher exhibits when I see other kids his age or younger doing things he can't.  His biggest barrier continues to be communication.  We have come a very long way and the progress is what keeps us going.  As a mom, my frustration comes from my three year old not being able to say "I'm hungry" or make other simple requests.  We don't have screaming fits very often but when we do and we don't know why it can be frustrating, for us and him.  It usually ends in some tears and questioning but then I pick myself up and get ready for another day.

Another thing parents take for granted that are small blessings for us include hugs and kisses.  Every so often we can ask for a hug and get one.  Sometimes a hug comes in the form of some needed sensory input.  (Christopher loves squeezes) But we get a hug in the end.

We can also have difficulty with changes in routine but does well overall.  Christopher has his own agenda and when we disagree there may be a fit involved.  We are blessed in that his fits are typically short lived and Christopher is an overall happy child.  It also goes the opposite direction, when we say its time for bed (at night, not so much for naps) Christopher goes right to his bed lays down and goes to sleep (typically).  I have a picture calendar on the fridge that we use to show him where he is going that day.  He is cute when he looks at it, says no, and tries to change the picture.  He wants to go to Mee-Maw's and not to school.  It took a while to figure out why he wanted to go to church all of the time until I realized that the siding on the church kinda looked like mom's trailer.  I have new pictures to print but haven't gotten to that yet.

We have had problems in the past when I've had to leave someplace because of behaviors.  Halloween was difficult last year when I took both kids on my own to the mall and it was super crowded.  The long, slow moving line wasn't a help but when other kids were holding Thomas Trains or we neared the end of the mall where a little train ride was located it was dreadful.  I was able to let a few people move ahead of us to get some distance between us and Thomas-boy but when we neared the riding toy, it was time to go.  Unfortunately, Allison was on the losing end that night.  We were all tired but if not for Christopher's behavior we would have stayed longer.  She got plenty of candy but it was the need to get out of the mall RIGHT NOW that was negative for her.

I do tend to avoid doing things with both kids on my own.  Usually I can talk mom into going along if it isn't something Danny would be interested in. We're debating a trip to the zoo over spring break.  There is no way I'm taking that adventure on my own.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Debbie:) You're brave for sharing your life on here. I hope writing is a good outlet for you. Sometimes just writing (even if no one is going to read it) is a big help to me. You're a strong lady and a great mom!

    ReplyDelete