Walk 2011

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Autism Walk 2011

We had our walk today in Cumberland, Maryland.   The weather was manageable but cool and cloudy.  Even on such a dreary day, everyone was in a good mood and their was a good crowd.  The kids had a lot of fun and everyone loved our shirts.  It was great having family and friends involved. 

Its great to see groups of people pull together for one cause.  We walk around a circular track and there isn't a time limit or a number of laps anyone has to do.  I think it would be fun to have something more in town but understand that this does keep everyone safe.  The location is enclosed somewhat so I just had to look for the bright orange shirt Allison was wearing and spot her on the other end of the area.  (Our orange was a good color for that purpose)  I saw other kids there and could see some of the symptoms and realized how fortunate we really are.  Christopher is very mild and while we have our trials, there is always someone walking a path a little tougher.  I'm sure those other parents feel the same way at times.  It can be so easy to get lost in ourselves and think "poor poor me" and forget about the blessings.

Part of me is glad the walk is over.  Fundraising can continue throughout the rest of the year but I put my focus in before the walk.  I'll start thinking about plans for next year and begin to develop formal plans around November.  My goal was to have all of our money posted before the walk this year and even with the early events that didn't happen.  Through the 2 fundraising events and other donations we were just under $2000 (when everything posts).  I think that is pretty awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment