Walk 2011

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Grocery Shopping

I meant to write this a few days ago but I've been so busy with everything. 

I went to the grocery store the other night to get some stuff for the kids for breakfast and for dinners and realized I hate grocery shopping.  It isn't just the thought that groceries are so expensive its that I have no idea on what to buy.  Danny and I both work day jobs and get home around dinner time so there isn't much time to cook.  We usually end up with the box dinners that are pretty easy to put together.  The kids have generally already eaten (but may eat again).  When we have money and don't want to cook, we order a pizza.  Most kids like pizza, mine don't.  Allison may eat it once in a while but Christopher won't touch it. 

Box dinners do get boring after a while.  The other problem we have is that Christopher only eats a handful of things.  He eats hamburgers and nuggets, but only from McDonald's.  Spaghetti is usually pretty successful.  He also eats some hamburger helper.  He really likes bananas and corn.  He used to eat other things and we try things whenever we fix it, but try to keep a can of spaghetti-o's on hand.  Breakfast has always been our easiest meal.  Its not easy to get him to eat but he will eat the most variety of breakfast foods.  I spend some mornings trying to get him to eat before his van comes and end up chasing him around the house with his breakfast.

So what did I buy at the grocery store?  I bought frozen waffles, pancakes and french toast sticks.  I also got the box dinners, milk, sugar, bread and cheese.  The kids have breakfast and we have some quick dinners to fix.

The glutein & cassein free diets (GFCF) are popular among the autistic population.  We did do a brief trial removing glutein but it wasn't for us.  Could you imagine what I'd be able to buy if went GFCF?  Hopefully, we won't need to change his diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment