Walk 2011

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Another Sunday

We had another Sunday thrown out of routine and had to make adjustments.  A lot of times Autism is a very routine oriented disorder.  We are fortunate to not be a very routine family.  We actually make efforts to avoid routines because of the risk for it to become ritualistic.

We left for church a little early because I knew I had to get gas along the way.  This in itself is out of routine because Mammaw was out of town and we were not leaving in her car.  Christopher did pretty well understanding that "Mammaw was all gone" and we were going in Mommy's car.  I chose to go to the Flying J because the gas was nine cents cheaper per gallon and I had a huge fill-up to do.  I guess it only saved me a couple of dollars to wait the 10-15 minutes but when the bill is going to hit over $50 the couple of dollars is worth it.  So even though we left early, we was late getting to church.  (Let me also say it took a little bit of chasing to get Christopher to put on clothes, Oh the phase we are in).

I took Christopher to class and he didn't want to go in.  I took him into service with me to get through music.  The awesome thing was, even before Christopher started to clap after the first song ended, others were clapping.  Apparently, Christopher started a trend a couple of weeks ago for people to clap when a song was particularly moving.  I felt a whole lot better about having him in service today.  He still clapped and made some noise but I didn't fret over it.  And amazingly, after the singing I carried him to class and he went in without incident.

Christopher was down for his nap when Mammaw came home so after he came in to see me upon waking I said Mammaw was home.  He didn't believe me initially but when he checked the window he got SOOOO excited.  We got ready and headed down to Mammaw's.  He RAN to her door and RAN to give her a huge hug. Then he was done, but we stayed for a while anyways. 

Overall, it was a pretty good day.  Allison is doing well in her cartwheel class.  Christopher stayed partially dressed most of the time.  And I felt good having him at church and not as anxious as last time.  He even settled down after a little while and let me hold him without wrestling.

Ahhhhh.......life is good......

No comments:

Post a Comment