Walk 2011

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lost, Found, Locked Up

I've been meaning to write this blog for a while but I'm just now getting around to it.  Last weekend I lived every mother's worst nightmare.  Was it different because Christopher is autistic?  Hmmmm...probably not.  I think the story is one that everyone has at some point whether the child is special needs or not. 

I still had my second job (working overnight on the weekend) and had just laid down for my before work nap.  (Yep, you read still had....meaning no longer have.)  There was the normal noise as the kids are running around and Danny is yelling at them to be quiet.  Soon after, Allison is back in the house.  She is staying over at mammaw's and forgot some stuff.  The next thing I hear is Danny yelling for Christopher.  I check the windows to see the pool and down to mammaw's and I don't see him.  I call to see if he had already made it down there and was inside but no luck.  We all hit outside.  Of course, Christopher has never responded to his name so why would he now.  I send my mom to the neighbor's house, who is having a big get together and she yells back that they haven't seen him.  I head the other direction through the neighbor's yard asking if they have seen a little boy.  I make it back around to the "party house" and am relieved to see mom with Christopher.  He had joined the other kids at the water hose playing and no one paid any mind to another kid.  All of this probably only took about 10 minutes but it was the longest 10 minutes ever.  Danny and I bring Christopher back home and get our nerves calmed and then head back over to party.  I had planned to work my shift and quit at the end (cause I wasn't scheduled for over two weeks and could do a "notice") but decided it was a sign and sent a text to the supervisor that I was calling off and I'd get my resignation letter sent in.

So that covers the lost and found....but locked up.....I had already scheduled to have a fence put in at the side of the house when we lost Christopher.  That fence is now up (minus the 2 gates) and I got my brother-in-law to move the porch rail from the side to block the front entrance.  I want to make the front of the porch a gate but the rail looks nice.  As soon as the gates get put up this week the kids will be able to play on the porch and in the side yard without the fear of them wondering off.  Hopefully the dog will behave in the yard too and the kids can be out with her to throw sticks or whatever.  We'll be able to open the front door this fall when its nice outside and the kids and dog can have the run of the place.  (we'll have to hide the cat away so she doesn't get out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment