Walk 2011

Sunday, July 17, 2011

I'm the mom

I was a bit skeptical when Christopher started pre-school after his birthday.  My fears have slowly dissipated and I ended the school year feeling good about how it had gone.  Summer school has been a totally different matter.  For some reason the school and bus don't want to deal with me.  Before the term started I expected to receive a phone call regarding the transportation.  The call never came so I had to bug the bus garage to make sure Christopher wasn't going to get left at school.  When he started in January the driver made an extra trip to meet myself and Christopher and have him get used to the van.  I talked to the summer bus driver and it was like I was an annoyance in wanting to make sure everything was set up.  Apparently he had called the sitter to arrange for Christopher's drop off.  I ended up having to alter his transportation arrangement and called the bus garage to get it set up.  I wasn't able to speak to the person in charge so I left a message about the change and was told I would get a call back.  I left MY number.  The change involved adding a pick-up for Christopher in the morning at his sitters.  Did I get the call back? NO.  The driver told the sitter that he would be there to get Christopher at 8:15.  Don't you think I'd like to know this information.  Anyway, its all settled and tomorrow is the first day of the new routine.  You better believe I'll be noting this if I get any evaluations to fill out, but then they may just go right to the sitter.

Okay so now I'll move off of the bus and talk about school.  Does anyone know what an IEP is?  That magic little legal document that outlines the services.  I give it a few days and no one is writing in the communication book.  I write a note to please write in the communication book, still nothing.  I have to call the teacher, and ended up getting a substitute to tell them to write in his communication book.  Summer school is only 4-5 weeks long, who needs a substitute the second week?  I let it slide.  At least now she is writing in the book.  When I talk to the sitter she requests a way to know if Christopher has eaten his lunch since he is so picky and she gives him something when he gets off of the bus.  I write a somewhat lengthy blurb in his communication book about a particular achievement we have made and at the end I write a request to write how well he ate his lunch.  Do you think they did that?  NOPE!  I also noted for them (because I'm about 100% sure they don't know what an IEP is) that Christopher has an allowance for an adaptable chair.  She did let me know that they were not using the chair and he was sitting at the table.  I will have to follow-up with his regular teacher about whether or not to use the chair when school starts in August.

My overall opinion of extended school year so far: a D-.  That's being hopeful that he is receiving some socialization and educational services while he is there.

By the way, the achievement: I got Christopher to say his name in response to "who are you", although you wouldn't know he said Christopher.

1 comment:

  1. Extended school year has always come across hit or miss to me. Explaining what an IEP is and sometimes listening to other parents, even got to be frustrating. If I recall though, to qualify for extended year a child had to have an IEP so I am thinking they know what it is, just not reading it. Which I ran into before, sorry for your frustration. I know some parents who had the capability of stopping in prior to meet the teacher or during the first day. I never had that option. I had to be frugal with my work schedule, at least they may have email, they did not have that for my child. And the communication book was hit or miss. I feel your concern and angst, it is hard starting a new semester each school session whether it be summer, Sept., or Jan....Any option to meet before, even to drop him or her off the first day sometimes helps. Best wishes, it is hard with work: kids, and filling in the blanks with children who can not express their day. best wishes, one step at a time is hard.Thinking good thoughts......I am happy he is getting on the right bus after school. :)

    ReplyDelete